Untitled Document
WOWSlider generated by WOWSlider.com
NAV.php
Prehistoric
Excavation
Conservation & Preservation
Ancient City & Site
Ancient Monument & Building
Art
Antiquity Collection Centre
Ancient Cities and Sites In Myanmar
Tharray-khit-tara Ancient Pyu City

The archaeological investigation in Srikshetra had been started since 1882-83 by Dr. E. Forchammer. The intermittent excavations of ancient monuments in Tharay-khit-tara have been conducted since 1907 and intensive excavation and preservation carried out from 1964 onwards. At present, 53 mounds have been exposed in the site.

Beikthano Ancient Pyu City

Beikthano ancient Pyu city is located ten miles on the northwest of Taung-dwingyi Magwe District. The town is almost square shape. At Beikthano Pyu city, six excavation at twenty five sites were carried out during 1958-1963. In 2004, the Department of archaeology was under-taken the excavation of Beikthano site No.-13. In this site, the sitting Buddha Image and Bronze Bell were excavated.

Hanlin Ancient Pyu City

A significant Pyu ancient cities, Halin, lies about eleven miles southeast of Shwebo Township in Upper Myanmar. The site was superficially explored in 1904-05 and few test excavations were made in 1929-30.Systematic excavation at Halin was started in 1962. Halin City is rectangular shape. Recent excavation were carried out in the south and north of Shwegugyi Pagoda in old Halin town in 2005.The excavation yielded a total of eleven sets of fossilized human bones as well as some

Maimao Ancient City

U Tin Myint, of Maimao Village in Myittha Township, Kyaukse District, Mandalay Division, unearthed Pyu period gold Buddha images, silver pagodas and silver Buddha images on Sheihaung hill in Maimao in May 2005. The artifacts he unearthed are eleven gold Buddha statues, a Buddha with its head cast with gold and its body, alloy, two silver Buddha statues gilded four silver cetis, and five silver objects. He handed over the religious objects to the Archaeology Department. The Department confirmed that these date back to Pyu period.
Maimao was one of the Pyu period cities that was civilized before Christ. The findings indicate that Buddha Sasana has flourished in Myanmar since the early Pyu period, and the gold and silver items in that period were exquisite. In addition, there was cultural interrelation between Tagaung, Hanlin, Beikthano and Sri-khsetra cities, and Buddhism has flourished in the nation ever since.

Tagaung Ancient City

Tagaung Ancient City (or) Site lies 127 miles above Mandalay on the left bank of the Ayeyarwaddy. The first excavation of the site was done in 1967-68. The excavations yielded many votive-tablets of which two types are peculiar to Tagaung.


The site of Tagaung actually contains another ancient city site called ‘Up-country Bagan’. In 2004, in the site of that city on which now stands a high school, pot shards were found while digging in the school compound. So, the Department of Archaeology excavated at this site. The remaining of many pots were found in this site. Now, these pots were preserved and restored by the Department of Archaeology.

Twantay

Five ancient Buddha images were found while digging ground in the compound of a monastery at Kanbe Model village in Twantay Township, Yangon Division, in 2005. The Archaeology Department confirmed that two of the statues are of late Pyu era and the remaining three are of the Bagan era. Of the late Pyu era statues one is 7.7 inches high and another 9.5 inches high. Both are in the Abaya mudra style. The three Bagan era images are a 7.5 inches statue in the Abaya mudra style, a 7.7 inches high Cigarahatta mudra style image, and a 9.8 inches high Bhumiphasa mudra style image.

Nay Pyi Taw, Pyin Ma Na

A gold Buddha image and a silver Buddha image were handed over the Department of Archaeology, National Museum and Library.
These ancient Buddha images found near Thayawhan village of Nay Pyi Taw, Pyinmana District in August 2007. So Department of Archaeology, National Museum and Library presents cash reward for handing over of ancient Buddha images. Our Department is preserving objects of cultural heritage and ancient buildings in accord with the laws, rules and regulations.

Excavation Glazed Kiln Site

Glazed wares. have been used in Myanmar since Pagan period, 11th to 13th century AD and therefore so many ancient glazed kiln sites were scattered in different places throughout upper Myanmar and lower Myanmar.

The first systematic excavation of ancient glazed kiln site was conducted at Lagunbyee, one of the ancient towns of Mon Kingdom, in 1990 jointly by Department of Archaeology and Mr. Don Hein from Sidney University and again in 1999 by an excavation team from the Department of Archaeology. This sites is situated one mile four furlongs to the north of Min Lwin Gone village, Hlegue township, 27 miles far from Yangon. These excavation yielded different type of glazed wares such as glazed bowls, jars, supports of clylindrical form and disc form, celadon stone balls and clay balls etc.

Another excavation of ancient kilns site was carried out in May 1999. at Kangyigone village in Twantay township, by an excavation team from the Department of Archaeology. This excavation also yielded a large number of glazed wares comprising different sizes of birds toy and supports. The glazed kiln so far excavated in Myanmar are belong to cross-draft type.

Arimadanapura Royal City In Bagan

The excavated Bagan Palace was located on southern side of Bagan-Nyaung-Oo Road in Old Bagan city. It was excavated from 1989 to 2003 according to the Budget allowance. Now King Anawrahta’s Palace is being under construction, according to the evidence found in mural paintings of Bagan temple.

Kambawzathadi Royal Palace

Kanbawzathadi Palace was built by king Bayinnaung (Sinphyumyarshin), the founder of the second Myanmar Empire. The first Hanthawaddy city was shifted to new place because it is so small therefore the king rebuilt the new palace in A.D. 1556 and named Kanbawzathadi. The ruin of city wall with 20 gates are still in existence. According to the drawing record made by a minister ‘Letwe Nawrahta’, there were totally 76 apartments and halls.

Systematic excavation was conducted in 1993 by the Department of Archaeology. During the excavation were undertaken at this site where about 1800 lime-stone Buddha images and over 200 teak-posts were unearthed. Now Mye-nan-pyat-that (or) Great Audience Hall and Bamayar-thana Hall (or) Bee throne Hall were reconstructed according to their plan.

Shwebon Yadana Mingalar Palace in Shwebo

It was built by King Alaungphaya U Aung Zeya who was the first founder of the Konebaung dynasty, in 1753 A.D. The palace was decorated with ten kinds of Art in detail. There were totally 54 apartments and halls. The original palace was destroyed in 1766 A.D.The Department of Archaeology started to excavate at the site in 1994. The excavation revealed the hidden palace platform underneath the ground. Although the palace were destroyed, the Department of Archaeology has a good collection of ancient records and drawing of palace of parabeik. The reconstruction of the palace was started in 1994 and completed in 1999.

Myanansankyaw Royal Palace in Mandalay

Officially called "Mya Nan San Kyaw golden Palace, it was built by King Mindon in A.D. 1853. It was a complex of 114- buildings built on the plinth and the length of the platform was 1004 ft, its widest part measures 547 ft. All buildings and halls are divided into three groups according to their functions.

During the British rule, the Archaeology Department had made detail Survey and drawing of this palace buildings. But the whole palace Buildings were burnt down completely between the fight of Japanese and British troops during the Second World War. The new palace building were reconstructed in 1993. The reconstructed Manadalay Palace Mya Nan San Kyaw represents Myanmar Sovereignty and independence and can arouse national patriotic spirit among Myanmar people.


© 2012 Department of Archaeology, National Museum and Library. All Right Reserved. (Beta Version)